Monday, May 14, 2012

Sequel Challenges

Writing a sequel is intimidating. I know the characters well, sure. I've got a plot. But the actual writing is hard.

How much back story is too much? I don't want to annoy those who read the previous book or alienate new readers. This is one of a dozen problems that keeps me thinking instead of typing.

I love my recurring characters. I do. Readers love them as well.

So why is Fatal Target so hard to write?

The subject matter is tricky, of course. A beloved character is sent to prison for a murder he didn't commit - but could have easily done. This throws a wrench in his relationship.At the same time, Kat is stalked by a man pretending to be a friend, while working for an old foe of Jackson's.

There's prison breaks. Campus shootings. Trials.

And violence. Lots of violence.

The new baddie, Weiss, is evil. Sociopathic and charismatic, he is used to having his way. Betrayed by an employee and his wife, he's spent over a decade behind bars plotting his vengeance. His target is Katherine - and he has no limits when it comes to torture.

As an author, I have to draw a line. I have to figure out what to tell and what to leave off the page.

In addition to the challenge of Weiss, romance plays a greater role than before. Kat and Aidan are closer than ever after a year spent together. But there's not much time for them to be together before they're torn apart by the law.

Balance is the key. And, boy, is it hard.

But the best part about a series? I don't  have to play all my cards at once. That's right - the mystery of Kat's twin, Larissa, is not going to be taken care of right away. Maybe in book 3 or 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment